Before today, I could imagine using the word "lobster" and "truck" in the same sentence under a slim number of circumstances:
"Hey, let's jump in the truck and go eat some lobster"
or
"Wow- your truck is the color of a lobster"
or
"My truck has a flat, I hit another lobster today"
But never:
"OOH guys, the Lobster Truck is in Chinatown today! You wanna go grab some lunch?"
Well, I heard that exact sentence today. I immediately googled "DC Lobster Truck", and this is what pulled up. I was a little nervous... eating shell fish served from an ice-cream truck sounded a little sketch. Coming from Houston, the closest thing we have are the taco trucks that drive around barreling black smoke from the tail pipe and feeding Mexican Food to the entire NW Houston's skilled labor workforce. We call those "Roach Coaches".
But- I'm not one to turn down an invite to try a new roach coach restaurant, so I decided to give it a shot. And according to the website, they don't have a schedule of where they are headed... they post it on Twitter and people flock to the area. Any one with a following like that must be pretty legit.
So- we walked two blocks- in freezing cold temps and ridiculous wind I might add- to this the corner of 7th & F to check out the famous Lobster Truck.
| Apparently a lot of people saw the Chinatown tweet. Check out this line! |
| They take plastic- SWEET! |
| 20 minutes later... it's finally my turn! |
| Lobster Roll Goodness. Too legit to quit. |
I must say, I was quick to judge the concept, and I am SO glad I tried it! I got the Connecticut style lobster roll, which means tossed in butter. The other way- Maine sytle I think- is tossed in Mayo. The sandwich is hearty shredded chunks of fluffy lobster tail, garnished with green onion, served on top of thick toasted buttered bread. I mean... it really doesn't get any better than that. I have a Twitter account that I never log on to, but I think I might start using it just so I can keep tabs on my new favorite DC eatery.
Seeing how I over-indulged and ate butter soaked toast and lobster for lunch, I did the responsible thing and skipped HH to go to the gym with Zeke.
Since most of this post is dedicated to food, I have to share some other exciting news that Zeke told me this evening. We leave in 13 days to go to the Bahamas for Zeke's company trip, and I can't freaking wait. A few of the nights we have group dinners & cocktail parties, but Saturday (the last night) is open to do whatever we want. My wonderful fiance told me tonight that he made reservations at... wait for it.... The Mesa Grill! Bobby Flay's restaurant in the Bahamas! Incase you didn't know, Bobby Flay is my cooking god, and his Mesa Grill cook book is my bible. I'm going to have the hardest time ordering... I might get one of everything actually. I was excited about the trip before hand, but I'm even MORE excited now! EEEEeeeeeeeeeEEE!
This is a perfect lead into my final topic of the evening... dinner.
I really started cooking again about 2 weeks ago. We've developed a Sunday night grocery store routine again, and I've started picking out recipes (from my Mesa Grill cookbook of course) to make for different nights, so I feel like we're getting back into healthy habits. Cooking is how I unwind, and I genuinely love food incase you can't tell, so I am the one who usually makes dinner. Here is my latest Bobby Flay adventure:
| The challenge |
| The ingredients |
| What it's supposed to look like VS what what real people make it look like. |
It was delicious!! The Red Chile Honey glaze is my new favorite accessory in the kitchen- it's super easy to make and goes with everything.
Tonight, we got back from the gym around 8:30 and I didn't feel like cooking again. Zeke said he would take care of it and would throw together a random "whatever we have in the pantry/freezer" meal. This is what happens when you put a guy in charge of cooking dinner...
| Zeke called this "Seafood Goulash": Frozen veggies, 1 can of tunafish, and frozen mango for some "sass". |
The funny thing is- things like this make me love him even more. And it was actually pretty good :)
No comments:
Post a Comment