Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"Fat" Tuesday

Little known fact, if we were in the UK, we would actually be celebrating "Pancake Tuesday" according to Wikipedia. "Making and eating such foods was considered a last feast with ingredients such as sugar, fat and eggs, whose consumption was traditionally restricted during the ritual fasting associated with Lent."  

Growing up, I always felt left out when everyone at school talked about what they were giving up for Lent. In fact, I didn't know it was spelled "Lent" (not "Lint") until after college. True story. I spent most of my years confusing a religious fasting period with the stuff that gets caught in your belly button. I was raised baptist... how was I supposed to know? But since we are being married by an Episcopal priest (who is also my future father in law) and I plan on converting, I've decided I will give something up this year.

In the spirit of Fat Tuesday and sacrifices I plan on making for Lent, I decided to literally interpret the meaning of the day. While I was walking with some co-workers to pick up a quick, healthy, low-sodium lunch, I saw a baby blue ice cream truck followed by a line of people. You know what that means... ANOTHER DC FOOD TRUCK! 

The fact that I have bridal portraits on Saturday completely escaped my mind. Instead, I was overcome with the aroma of deep friend dough and fresh baked oatmeal cookies. That's right... it was the DC Empanada Truck! I ditched my co-workers and stood in a line that was almost as long as The Lobster Truck. It took me a good 20 minutes to get to the front of the line- which was ok with me- because that means it's good!
IMG_0979.JPG.jpg

IMG_0980.JPG.jpg
I was by myself today, so I didn't have anyone to take my pic when I got the food :( So this guy didn't know it, but he made a guest appearance on my blog as the stand-in KJ.
IMG_0981.JPG.jpg
Deep fried deliciousness coupled with an Oatmeal, Sweet Cream, and Rum Soaked Raisin cookie sandwich.
To make the Empanada Truck even cooler, they were all dressed up for Mardi Gras, were playing Zydeco music, and the three empanadas they featured for the day were cajun themed. I ordered the Red Beans & Rice with Andouille Sausage. I give it 5 stars! I have yet to meet a food truck entree I don't like. So far, I've crossed three off the list in my quest to conquer DC Food Trucks... still have a ways to go.

Today was a successful FAT Tuesday, so I'm ready to begin my "fasting" period. I've contemplated what I am giving up this year. Last year it was soda, but I successfully stuck with the trend and don't drink them anymore. The Diet Coke in the picture above is probably the 10th soda I've had all year. I would say alcohol, but let's be honest with ourselves here. Not gonna happen. I would also say cussing, but that sh*t ain't happening either. I don't bit my nails, smoke, or eat fast food. Hmmmmm.

When I thought long & hard about what object/habit means the most to me, one thing stands out- Steak! I love steak. I eat it at least once a week, and to me that's not enough. Would eat it every day if I could.  I've also always said that I could be a vegetarian if it wasn't for steak (because I really don't like chicken). But I also know that I can't cook only veggies for Zeke for dinner, and I still need protein. If we try to get all of our protein from beans, we will not have a very happy "honeymoon phase", that's for sure. 

So with that, I have decided I'm giving up traditional meat (chicken, pork, STEAK) and becoming a Pescatarian. But I'm putting a disclaimer out there- I have a menu tasting with our caterer Saturday in Austin, so I have to sample some delicious prime rib to make sure it's ok for guests to eat. But after that I'm done, swear. 

What are you giving up for Lent? Would love to see some audience participation :)

5 comments:

  1. I've been a stealthy reader of your blog until now, but I figure it's time to come out of hiding ;) I'm giving up meat too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes...anything potatoes...chips, baked, french fries, mashed..It's my kryptonite.

    I also believe in doing something to better yourself during Lent besides give something up so I'm going to jog/walk 2 miles during lunch!

    Soda and Rice have been added to my list but I'm making an exception for my Aunt's birthday next week. Eeps! good luck with your's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up drinking alone in my apartment...the get around that is that since we FaceTime, it's not "technically" alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyones commitments sound great. Let's see if we can keep it up! And I agree Jess, face time is an exception.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm giving up drinking.......its a loooong time until easter!
    Dan

    ReplyDelete