The theory behind the Paleo Diet is this: People lived without McDonalds and Diet Coke for thousands of years. They were also taller, leaner, had a longer life expectancy, and were cancer-free. Processed foods are the number one cause of heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and are linked to more weird and random illnesses than I care to or have the ability to list. The idea is that if you revert back to 4 basic food groups, you will have more energy, a cleaner digestive system, will get sick less often, and will look something like this:
The 4 food groups are:
1. Meat
2. Vegetables
3. Fruit
4. Nuts
Which means no dairy, grains, or anything processed. This even means that potatoes, pasta, cheese, coffee, pita bread and (ghasp) wine are off limits.
Now let's be real: I'm drinking a glass while I'm typing this entry. I will cut out everything except my occasional glass or five- depends on how my work day goes. I'm not THAT competitive. But I'm going to try my best to adhere to the plan as best as I can... I'm curious to see how I feel (and look) after a month.
Today was my first day on the diet. Here is my entry from the survey we fill out daily that tracks our progress:
June 20, 2011
a banana
1/4 garlic and herb chicken and peas from Nando's
a bottle of red wine and a can of tuna. classy.
None
No
I have a headache and feel drained. And angry. I think it's a combination of work and my lack of time to eat a proper meal today. I had one espresso at work because I totally needed a pick-me-up, but I'm going to cut back on the coffee and see how it goes this week.
At least I was honest!
While the goal is to look like the girl in the picture at the top of the page, I actually feel more like this:
I did cheat and have one espresso, but a) it was Monday morning and b) one espresso is better than my usual cup at home plus double iced espresso or Venti Soy Latte from Starbucks every day. I drank water all day, didn't have my customary Diet Coke at lunch, and didn't eat ANY sour skittles from the jar on my desk. That in its self is an accomplishment.
Zeke and I are supposed to go to the grocery store, but i really just want to sit on my couch, force myself to watch The Bachelorette, and finish my wine and can of tuna fish. We can go grocery shopping tomorrow.
I think I'm going to pick out my recipes tonight and will (of course) keep you updated on cooking like a cavewoman. I'm sure there's SOMETHING I can make using the stand mixer ;)
Have a great night, and please enjoy a fat juicy burger or big bowl of fettucini for me :- /
I'll be here... eating my can of tuna...



No comments:
Post a Comment