Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Nogg your socks off

Hello all-

If you haven't been ON the blog in a few weeks, click on the link at the bottom of the email and check it out! Thanks to my friend Corie and "BliggityBlog", I figured out how to snazz up my page.

I'd like to start by sharing a video that's sure to make you smile. I'm convinced our family has the cutest kids EVER. The video gets really good around 45 seconds... little Brooks learns how to Raise the Roof and can Pop, Lock, & Drop it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVm19GXlwww I just want to squeeze him!

The Inaugural Kirkland Family Nog Off was this past Saturday. After mucho crap talking and deliberation, the winner by 5 points was The Hudson Nog. Their nog started this whole debate last year, so I wasn't that embarrassed to lose to the Master. Zeke and I tied for 2nd place with our Cinnamon & Sweet Cream tasty concoction. And my mom and dad came in last with their thick whip cream thick travesty.

My poor mom... she worked so hard on her batch! The even let the bourbon and sugar ferment over night and stirred it every 6 hours... she really thought she was on to something. Somewhere at the end, though, something went wrong. The recipe told her to pour in a bunch of heavy whipping cream, and whip until thick. Well, the whole mixture turned in to an alcoholic whipped frosting of some sort! We couldn't help but laugh when we had to eat her nog with a spoon... then we turned the cup upside down (DQ Blizzard Style) and the mixture didn't budge! We were rolling on the floor... she was sulking in the corner. If you ever wonder where I get my competitiveness and sore loser tendencies from, look no further than Ann Jerden herself.

But all in all, it was a fun family activity that will hopefully turn into tradition! I'm still convinced we would have won if our mixture sat overnight like everyone else's. We didn't know people were pre-making their batches, or else we would have taken the trophy for sure. And yes, we really have a trophy presentation ceremony! My cousin Layla took some great pictures, I'll be sure to add them once she posts them of FaceBook.

And incase you're DYING to make a batch of nog yourself, here's a modified version of the recipe we used. (A magician never reveals all of his tricks!)

Scrumptous Smith Egg Nog
12 eggs, separate the whites/yolks
2 cups fine sugar
1 pint Dark Rum
1/2 pint Bourbon
1/2 pint Peach Brandy
2 pints Icecream of your choice (Choose flavor wisely- makes a huge difference!)
2 pints whole milk
Nutmeg & Cinnamon to taste

Beat the egg yolks & sugar together in a large bowl. Add Rum, Brandy, Bourbon, and ice cream to the large bowl. Stir slowly while ice cream melts, then add the milk. You can adjust the amount of milk at the end for desired consistency if the nog is too thick for your liking. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until fluffy and gently fold into the egg nog. Important- let chill in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours minimum before serving. The egg whites need time to settle... they will disappear into the mixture.

Enjoy! Also, if you have any delicious Nogg or Holiday Cheer recipes of your own, please share in the comments section. Always looking to try something new :)

On a separate but equally as awesome note, I have another exciting announcement to post! One of my BFF's got engaged last night! It really is spreading like wildfire! I'm sooooo excited for the future Mr. And Mrs. Kristen & Justin Jackson!

As always... we have to pay tribute to the bling-a-ling...


Now that's one shiny ring!! I can't wait to celebrate with my pledge sister/college roomie/scrapbooking buddy/ninja turtle/hoodrat friend! Mazel tov! And Kristen- I was serious about the 2012 comment I posted last week. Think about it... I'm just sayin...

Don't forget, HH tomorrow night at Pub Fiction. We will be there around 6:00 and have the back room reserved. We get free appetizers & they'll have drink specials for us. Kristen & Justin will be there to celebrate, as will most of our girlfriends & Zeke's gang. Should be good times.

Oh, and last but not least, a few of my favorite pics from Cedar Creek on Sunday. I sure am gonna miss you girls...
 My TTU "Woozie"- Thanks Sheens!!










No comments:

Post a Comment