Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I love technology

I'm pulling a two-fer today. Not gonna lie... it's partially because I'm a little bored and trying to ignore the boxes that are still piled in my kitchen and living room. But the main reason is that I had an awesome time tonight talking to two of my favorite people ever... face to face! but before I begin my story, I'd like to show you some pics of my first day alone in DC.

Let me say that again... my first day alone in DC! Weird feeling. I'm definitely ready for Zeke to be here. I went downstairs (after my last post) and had a sudden change of heart on my restaurant choice. I decided to go to Lost Dog Cafe for some pizza, beer, and to read.

 
They have 10 beers on Tap a week, all equipped with their own chalkboard drawn logo. This is the one I chose! Once I got the check, I realized it was $10. It was also 10% alcohol. I call that a "wash".
Reading "Lit" by Mary Karr and Enjoying my $10 IPA. And for those of you that aren't hip to the beer lingo, that stands for "Indian Pale Ale". I had to ask what IPA meant, no worries. But now I sound cool & hipster ;)




Dog Art
Delicious Polynesian Pizza. GET IN MY BELLY!


And truth be told, the "reading" thing came about because I normally don't eat pizza and drink by myself at a bar, so I really didn't know what else to do. I was really in to the book on the plane, so I figured I'd keep the reading streak going.

So fast forward to 8:00 pm, I've just woken up from my pizza & IPA nap and decide to start unpacking boxes in the kitchen. I got a solid 45 minutes of work in, when my phone rings and it's none other than Jessica Schwartz calling me for my first "face time" chat on our iPhone 4's!! We both finally have Wi-Fi, so we were able to talk face to face for a good hour. It felt like we were sitting on the couch talking to each other. I was able to give her a tour of the apartment, catch up on her latest and greatest gossip, and even demonstrate how AWESOME my couch is! I accidentally spilled 1/2 a glass of red wine on it while we were talking, and everything wipes right up with a wet cloth. You really can't even tell. It also gave me hope... Jessica promised to call me on Monday when the girls get together for the Bachelor! So even though I'm 1400 miles away, I will still be there :)

So right after we hung up, I got a text from Karah (Zeke's sister) asking what my Skype name is. I'm new to Skpye, but am definitely its newest fan! She looked me up, found my user name, and called me over the internet! We were able to video chat from our computers with full sound and everything. Again, I felt like we were sitting side by side.

My favor to ask all of you- SIGN UP FOR SKYPE! It's free, very easy to use, and we can chat any time in person! Here's the website- www.skype.com. It's super easy and takes literally 2 minutes to register. All you need is an email address and you create a user name. Don't get confused if it asks you to sign up for a membership, you don't need one. It's free.

A lot of new laptops and all Macs have webcams built in, but if you don't have one, you can get one at Target for $30 like this one below...

Logitech C210 Webcam - Black (960-000617)

So, I hope to get several responses telling me that you signed up for Skype and that you want my user name so we can chat! I can't wait to see every one's smiling faces!

Off to bed for me, I have a long day of unpacking tomorrow. Jessica flies into Baltimore tomorrow evening and I'm going to pick her up! My first visitor... woo hoo! Gotta have the place looking snazzy ;) Sweet dreams.

1 comment:

  1. YAY for skype!!!! i had so much fun chatting with you. love you and we will chat again soon!!!

    ReplyDelete