Sunday, November 20, 2011

Surprise Visitors!

It's very rare that I'm able to trick the King of surprises himself {Mr. Smith}. He always has something up his sleeve, and when I try to reciprocate the favor, he sees right through me!

Not this time.

Mark and Michelle, two of our best friends from Houston, emailed me a couple of months ago and said they wanted to come visit. They arranged for her parents to watch their 2 year old {who happens to be one of THE cutest kids on the entire planet}, we tossed a few dates back and forth, and finally picked the weekend before Thanksgiving. The weather would be nice but not too cold, the leaves would be pretty, and it was far enough before Christmas that flights weren't ridiculous.

We decided we would try to keep it a secret to make things more fun. After several near slip-ups, multiple hidden emails, and some sneaky planning on our part, we successfully orchestrated a great weekend. I emailed Zeke's boss and arranged for him to have Friday off {another secret}, so the big "reveal" was all that was left to figure out.

We had it all lined out perfectly- their flight landed at 11:00 pm Thursday evening, and they were going to take a taxi to the apartment and knock on the door like, stick a Smirnoff in the peephole, and surprise/Ice Zeke. But... of course... plans change.

He woke up at 5:30 Thursday morning so he could get to work early. When I came home that evening, he looked exhausted on the couch, and I knew if we stayed home he would be passed out cold by the time they arrived. I made a game time decision to take him to the bar, and I told him I had a surprise. I let him know he had the day off, but didn't say why, so of course he was asking a million questions the entire night. Sadly, I didn't get their grand entrance on video, but the look on his face was priceless when they walked in!

Overall, the weekend was absolutely perfect. While we do miss our friends and family SO much, it's kind of cool when visit and we get to show them around town. Here are a few pics- Enjoy!
Tebowing on Thursday
Happened to stumble upon the sealing of the MLK time capsule at the monument.
The contents won't be unlocked for 50 years- pretty cool! 




Afternoon cocktails at The W Hotel



The Canlas' first Lobster Roll!
@Luke's Lobster


Friday night- Me & Michelle's date for "A Christmas Carol" at Ford's Theatre 


This is what happens when we leave our husbands together at the bar alone. 
Dancing machine
Saturday trip to Bluemont Vineyard in Bluemont, VA











Virginia countryside- absolutely beautiful! 

Right after the cheese catapult  




Love you Mark & Michelle- see you again in a few weeks!!

2 comments:

  1. What Fabulous photos you guys got at the vineyard!Especially love the last one. :) Looks like a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Corie!! When you come for round 2 we will have to hit up the vineyards.

    ReplyDelete