I can't bake.
I've tried my hand at a few things:
- apple pie {looked great but was super runny and fell apart}
- brownies {and I forgot to put eggs in them}
- banana nut bread {that I took one bite of and it threw away}
I'd pretty much given up until last night. I saw "Easy Apple Turnovers" posted on a friend's Pinterest, and was first attracted to the picture {who can resist?!}, then I saw "Easy" in the title and was sold!
I read the instructions... it seemed do-able... so I decided to give it a shot. Luckily, apples are in their prime, so I wrote down the ingredients and headed to the farmer's market. Aside from cutting the recipe in half, I made a slight modification from the original and went with Honey Crisp Apples instead of Granny Smith, Ginger Ale instead of Sprite, and I used soft spread butter vs. stick. I also salted the apples before I wrapped them.
| I only ended up using one apple sliced 8 ways. |
| Slice & dice |
| Salt apples and wrap in the crescent rolls |
| Melt 1/2 C butter, stir in 3/4 C sugar, add a spoon full of Vanilla extract |
| Dump mixture over wrapped apples. Sprinkle with Cinnamon. I got a little carried away, obvi. Probably why I can't bake. |
| Pour Ginger Ale on top and bake. |
| 40 minutes later- ooey gooey gooness. |
| Guaranteed to make your husband/BF/roommate/self swoon |
Easy Apple Turnovers
{Modified for Mr. And Mrs. Smith Go To Washington: Original recipe here}
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cups sugar
1 tube crescent rolls
1 Honey Crisp apple
6 ounces of Ginger Ale
Cinnamon
Vanilla ice cream {optional}
Directions: *Peel* and slice your apples. Salt each apple slice and wrap in a crescent dough triangle, place in sprayed pan. Melt your butter in a bowl in the microwave, then stir in sugar and vanilla extract. Pour over top of the wrapped apples. Pour the Ginger Ale all around, sprinkle with cinnamon, and spoon butter mixture on top of turnovers. Place in 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until tops of turnovers are light brown and flaky. Serve hot with ice cream for extra goodness!
Tonight, I started a slow-cooker recipe {from Pinterest of course} for Chicken Chili... if it turns out well I'll be sure to share the deliciousness :)
Happy cooking!

No comments:
Post a Comment