Friday, January 20, 2012

New Addiction: The Hunger Games

Happy Friday everyone!!

I finally recovered from last weekend's shenanigans and am back to my normal self. After reading back through that post a few times, even I thought I had a drinking problem. Ha. The good news is that we only go on 4 day benders when 1) our family & friends are in town and 2) the teams we LOVE are in any sort of playoff or tournament. True story. These next few weeks will be much less eventful considering I have the Rock N Roll half marathon in 8 weeks {Yikes!}.

Tonight, Mr. Smith is back in Houston for a good friend's wedding and our niece's baptism. {I'll explain why I'm not there, too, below}. That leaves Mrs. Smith in Washington- all by her self! What's a girl to do?

Sadly, I was almost excited at the thought of a night alone. Not because I don't absolutely adore my hubby... but because I found a new addiction {outside of wine, beer, and McDonald's wrapper cheese}. It's called The Hunger Games. I'm sure you've seen a few people mention it on Facebook or Twitter... if you haven't picked up the book- DO IT!! It's the perfect combination of Lord of the Flies meets 1984 meets Gladiator. I can't put it down.
It's so good that they made a movie and it comes out this March. You can catch the trailer here...
You really do have to read the book, though... I feel like there are so many crucial details that they can't possibly shoot on camera. You won't get the full effect.

Now, I have to admit, I'm not physically reading the book. I downloaded the unabridged version on iTunes and I listen to it during my shuttle and Metro rides to/from work. I figured out that trying to read anything more than a news article makes me dizzy and I can't concentrate. For some reason, listening to it is much easier. And it's funny... I used to be the social one on the shuttle... always striking up conversations... and I was excited to get to work to get my day started. Now, I get annoyed when anyone tries to talk to me, and I feel like my commute isn't long enough! All I want to do is listen to the book. THAT is when you know it's good. That's also why I'm sitting on my couch, like a loser, with headphones on listening to the final chapters and eating a pizza.

So if you're dodging the snowy DC weather {or enjoying a chill night in Texas} and are looking for a new book to read/download, I highly suggest you give this one a look!

Now, as for the Houston story, I'm excited to announce that my BFFE Tara gave birth to Mr. Brayden Cole Thomas on Tuesday, January 17th!
Isn't he just handsome???
I'm flying in next weekend to spend some quality time with my bestie and her perfect little bundle of joy. I can't wait to kiss those little cheeks! So while I would love to be in Houston with the hubby this weekend, I'm equally as excited to postpone the trip and get some time in with this fella.

I hope you have a fabulous weekend-- and go get Hunger Games! Now!

1 comment:

  1. DId you read (listen to) the rest of the series yet? I am obsessed!

    ReplyDelete