Significant event #1: I'm an official, card-carrying DC Commuter.
After three weeks of waiting, I finally got my SmarTrip Card in the mail! For the non-Virginians, it's basically an EZ Tag for the Metro. No more dirty looks for holding up the lines because my paper fare card is bent- I can swipe & go! Now, it's my turn to roll my eyes at the annoying people who are soooooo behind the times.
![]() |
| How you like me NOW |
This time next week, I will have officially assumed my new identity. I'm not sure why that's just now hitting me, but it's kind of a weird feeling! It all started last week at work...
Everyone has been asking me about the wedding an honeymoon, but someone finally brought up plans AFTER the wedding. Rare. And it was a simple question... They asked if I was going to go by my maiden name or assume his last name. I thought, "Well DUH- I'm taking his last name. Isn't that what everyone does?" They proceeded to tell me about how several girls they know are keeping their maiden names because it's such a hassle to change, and it makes things tough professionally with clients.
I didn't really think about how life changing that really is... Until now! I'm already at a disadvantage because my of my given name. Now don't get me wrong, Elizabeth Kate is a great name. But going by your middle name is actually a pain in the butt. You have to assume two identities- to my friends, family, and co workers I'm "Kate". But to doctors, insurance, my bank, credit card companies, and the government I'm "Elizabeth". It's already difficult enough explaining why my license says one name and credit cards say another. Or why I answer the phone and sign my name one way, but it says something different in my file.
Now, I face the decision of my legal name change. Moving forward, will I be Elizabeth Kate Smith, Kate Jerden Smith, or Elizabeth Kate Jerden Smith? I guess it depends on how much I want to complicate things. Do people really keep 4 names? Then, there comes the issue of my email address. Do I need to create new accounts for work and personal? If I do that, I have to log in to every account and change my contact information. Will my clients know who Kate Smith is?? Goo. And regardless, I have to change my name legally, get a new SSC, and get a new license and passport. Aye ca rumba.
Significant event #3: The universe is getting excited about our wedding, too.
Tonight, we were eating dinner & watching basketball, and out of no where, there was a fireworks show outside of our window! I told Zeke it MUST have been the celebratory show marking the one week milestone for the original Royal Wedding. I mean, we were engaged first!




The fireworks were actually right over the Washington Monument! We are spoiled with a pretty cool view :) While I like to think they were in our nuptial's honor, coincidentally the Washington Nationals (baseball) won tonight.
Significant event #4 & #5: Jess made her second trip to DC, AND I tried Cognac for the first time. Yes, the events correlate.
Jess came in town Tuesday night for work and stayed with us through today. She had a reception she planned/hosted for work. Of course, I
There were a few bottles of liquor left after the event, so thanks to some smooth talking, her great relationship with the caterer, and the large purse capacity of three females, we ended up with bottles of Kettle One, Wild Turkey, and Cognac as party favors. Obviously, we were a little liquored up when we picked those bottles, because who in the hell drinks Wild Turkey and Cognac anyways?!
Apparently, we do. In the car.
![]() |
| Cheers to a successful event! And free Cognac! |
![]() |
| Not to worry, the car was parked. |
![]() |
| Jess' finger made a cameo. |
After our classy car cognac tasting, we went to Bar Dupont for a few cocktails. Since I was on a dark liquor streak, I decided I would try my first "Manhattan".
![]() |
| Never again. |
Bad idea. Me no likey.
Significant event #6: I ate BBQ for the first time since moving to Virginia.
The Management Team took me and four other Inside Sales Reps to lunch on Friday because we each were selected for a "top performer of the day" award that week. My award was on Wednesday, I was selected because I closed 10 deals last week! I also got to select a song or YouTube video to play throughout the office as the motivational song of the day. True to form, I picked "Teach Me How To Douggie" and had the office doing the Cali Swag at 9:00 am ;)
Back to lunch- When they told me we were going to a place called Hill Country BBQ, I was skeptical. I know BBQ, and I'm getting married in the Hill Country... I'm not easily impressed!
Upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised for the two reasons: 1) No taxidermied animals and 2) Blue Bell Ice Cream in stock. To all of you Texas readers- you don't know how much Blue Bell Ice Cream means to you until you can't buy it any more! Some days, I would love nothing more than a huge Root Beer Float or milkshake. You can imagine my excitement.
This was the spread:
My professional assessment: The brisket could compete with legit Texas BBQ, and the collared greens were as good as it gets. However, the ribs were forgettable, the macaroni didn't hold a candle to Luby's. And to add insult to injury, everyone said the macaroni was the best they've ever had, and no one knew what Luby's was! When I tried to explain it, they made fun of me for eating at a cafeteria. Damn Yankees.
That's all I've got for now... I'm about to head to bed. We have an action packed day of work, laundry, packing, and slideshow making ahead of us. Nothing like the last minute!
Sweet dreams,
KJ (for 6 more days)






What you mean you can't get Blue Bell ice cream in Virgina and Maryland on a regular basis!?!?!?! Are there such places that exist????
ReplyDeletePS I say go with 4 names! It sounds very professional and extremely important! That's my vote, but whatever you choose I support! Can't wait to see you kids in the ATX!!! Come on!!!!
Oh, the name thing is fun!! I'm still trying to get one of my banks to accept my name change documents--what a pain!
ReplyDeleteI created new email accounts and had all my old ones forward to the new one--that way they get your new name and email when you reply! Also, just add a "formerly know as" line to your signature for a while, everyone will get the hint and realize that you're still the person they dealt with before :-)
Congrats! I feel very nostalgic every time you post about wedding stuff, reminds me of MY best day!
@Molly- Such a places does exist! At least I know where I can get my fix now. Can't wait to see you and Matthew next weekend.
ReplyDelete@Emily- Great advice... thanks! Will definitely keep those tips in mind. I've seen ads in bridal magazines for companies that do ALL of the name switches for you... might look into that.