Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dracula's Stay-At-Home Wife

Hi there. Mrs. Smith checking in :) As the blog back-log builds and builds, I have a story I'd like to share.

As you might know, we moved apartments a few weeks ago. The move was successful, we managed to squeeze everything into the new digs, and I'm still in the nesting phase. To go with our new modern style I'm aiming for, we ordered our first real grown up furniture to help us settle in :)

I worked from home today so they could deliver the furniture and set everything up, so I was excited all morning!! They gave me a 2 hour window when they would arrive, and I was on pins & needles waiting for a knock at the door. While I was waiting for the knock, Zeke called me to tell me the Omaha Steaks he ordered last week were waiting for us at the front desk. I ran downstairs, grabbed the styrofoam box from the concierge, and came upstairs to unpack it.
Nice & cold, packed in dry ice. 
I quickly put the steaks in the freezer, tossed away the promotional crap, and dumped the dry ice in the sink. I was ready for my furniture to get here!! Right after the ice hits the sink, I turn the water on {to melt it, of course}, and was shocked when I saw the reaction.

Yeah... that's fog... in a sink.
Think back to Halloween parties last year in elementary school. All that cool smoke rolling on the floor? That's dry ice. With water on it. 

I pour more water on it to try and "put it out"- no luck. Smoke starts barreling from the sink, on to the counter, and makes it's way to the floor. I'm half panicked, half laughing hysterically. And of course- what happens?

Knock, knock, knock. 

Me: "Who is it?"
Them: "Hi Mrs. Smith! Joe and David from Crate and Barrel. We have your delivery!".
Me: "Shit."

Not only is my kitchen full of bubbling fog, but I'm so uncomfortable and awkward, I don't know what to say. I open the door, and here's what I think they see: 
Sans the creepy entourage.
But still creepy.
Not going to lie, it was awkward. I swung the door open and immediately apologized for the weird fog. They either thought I was making meth, or I was Dracula's wife. I tried to explain the situation... didn't help.

They left. I laughed. Then I took this picture. This was about 10 minutes after the initial "fog spill".
Velcome to my apartzment. Muah Hah Hah Hah.
And the day didn't end there. I thought since I ordered "white glove delivery", they were assembling everything. HA! They set up the sofa table then peace'd out. {Probably because they thought I was a meth dealer}. So they left me with 5 brown boxes full of wood pieces, allen wrenches, and wall screws.

Once I wrapped up my work for the day, I dove in to my next project: bar and shelf assembly. Let me preface this by saying that I thought since I was ordering from Crate and Barrel, things would come perfectly built and made to order.

Not so much.

47 screws and a back ache later, I'm pleased to show you...
Just the bar. 
Another 65 screws later... one of the shelves! But wait... look closer...

I put the f*&%#^$& shelves on backwards!!!

DAMMIT!!!
So 8:00 p.m. rolls around and my back is officially broken, but I put the shelf together right. And I looked at Pinterest for some decorating ideas, so here's the rough draft of what I came up with! {Keep in mind I'm painting a few walls grey next weekend}.
Bar & shelf
Sofa table
If I learned anything from this experience, it's this:

The only nicer thing about  Crate & Barrel "self assembly" vs. Ikea is that the instructions are in English. We're happy with our purchases overall, but if you can buy any of the Sloane series pre-assembled, DO IT!

The apartment is still a work in progress, but we love it already. I cooked hubby a good dinner tonight, and we're off to Destin, FL tomorrow morning for Zeke's cousin's wedding. 
Since today is my Friday, have a GREAT weekend, and I'll catch up with you all next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment