Tuesday, December 13, 2011

the most delicious chicken chili ever. seriously.

I don't brag about my cooking a lot.

Ok, ok... I guess I do ;)

Sometimes a girl {or guy} has to pat themselves on the back. Cooking isn't easy! It's intimidating! And it's really easy to screw things up. There aren't many things I'm good at {besides b.s.'ing, starting projects I don't finish, bonging beers, and Tetris}. But cooking is something I've grown in to over the last few years.... I love that once you get the "basics down", you can really let your imagination run wild.

This particular recipe is a hybrid of two things I found on Pinterest mixed with a little bit of "what the hell, I'll throw that in there, too". If you're in the holiday-comfort-food-mood and want to cook a nice pot'o'goodness that {a} you/your family will love {b} will draw a crowd around your cubicle because it smells so good when you reheat it for lunch {c} is inexpensive to make, and {d} allows you to easily add/remove ingredients to make it your own-- look no further. It's also relatively healthy. Bonus!
Easy ingredients from the canned food aisle
Boil 1.5 lb. chicken thighs in water, reserve 2 cups of the water and season to make broth.
*this was one of my "make up as you go"- I realized I didn't have chicken broth in a can! Crap!*
While the chicken is cooling, saute onions, bell peppers, garlic, and carrots in olive oil. Make sure to season!
Once veggies are softened,  pour in chicken broth, raise heat and boil.
While veggeis are simmering in broth, use a fork to pull the chicken off the bone and shred.
{It looks like my Champagne bottle is peeing on the chicken, sorry for the awkward pic}
Mix in chicken and all of the canned ingredients.
Cover, simmer, and voila!
Serve topped with shredded Colby Jack cheese. Deeeeelish!
Ingredients:

1.5 lb. chicken thighs, boiled and shredded {skin removed}
1 large diced sweet onion
1 diced green bell peppers
3 cloves finely sliced garlic
2 peeled and and diced carrots
1 can crushed tomatoes {I use Furmamo's} 
1 can whole kernel sweet corn
1 can mexicorn
1 can kidney beans
1 can low sodium black beans
1/2 jar of salsa {I use Pace Picante-Mild}
Salt, Pepper, and Cumin to taste {I use a lot!!}
Olive oil
2 cups chicken broth*
Colby jack cheese

*If you don't have chicken broth, season 2 c of the water you boiled the chicken in. I used 2 tbsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and 2 tbsp olive oil*

Instructions:
  1. In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat 4qt. water to a boil. Add chicken thighs, cover, and boil until cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
  2. Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate and allow to cool. Follow instructions above to make broth.
  3. While chicken is cooling, return the saucepan to the stovetop and lower heat to medium. Add olive oil.
  4. Add onion, bell pepper, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is starting to turn brown and peppers/carrots start to caramelize, 8 to 10 minutes.
  5. Add minced garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 additional minute.
  6. Stir in reserved chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook 5 minutes.
  7. While broth/veggies are cooking, use 2 forks to remove chicken from the bone and shred.
  8. To the saucepan, add chicken, tomatoes, salsa, beans, and corn. Do not drain. Stir to combine. 
  9. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
  10. Serve it up, stir in cheese, and enjoy!

If you try it, let me know! 

2 comments:

  1. This looks good! Do you think you could do the same with chicken breasts? Would love to skip the step about pulling it off the bone and just shred away! I might have to try--looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so cute! Im from Nova, but live in Cali now and just found you through Long Distance Loving.

    ReplyDelete