Saturday, July 23, 2011

Beat the Heat

Texas peeps- have you heard about this massive "heat wave" that's terrorizing the Midwest and East Coast? It's ALL you read about here.

Being a native Houstonian, I'm accustomed to 100 degree + temperatures. In fact, it doesn't feel like summer to me unless I walk outside and am immediately drenched in sweat, my hair gets wavy, and it's hard to breathe. When I read these articles, I chuckle to myself and think... "puuuuuuhlease".

In the spirit of summer, I found a few things that could help my East Coast friends survive the weekend-
Blackberry Bourbon Sour
Recipe
Hide the "heat" hair

Strawberry and Basil Martini Recipe

Stay Cool
Serve in stye
And look good while doing it
How did Mr. and Mrs. Smith fare in the midst of Thermapalooza? Just fine, we're pros. I woke up in a summery mood so I made scrambled eggs & turkey bacon served with Pineapple + OJ + Conocut Milk smoothies. We got dressed and headed to Chinatown, he got a haircut and I got a mani/pedi. I also treated myself to a fabulous Iced Soy Latte from Chinatown Coffee- it really is the best cup of coffee I've tasted in my life. No lie. I had my first cup about 2 weeks ago and since then have broken up with Starbuck's and now feed my addiction from greener pastures...

Since we've both been a bit home sick lately, we walked a few sweaty blocks and stopped in to Hill Country BBQ (previously featured here) for a brisket and Blue Bell fix. With full bellies and smiles on our faces, we came home and took a nap.

Since hubby is still glued to the TV for the Tour De France {which ends tomorrow Thank Gawd}, I'm getting ready to meet one of my favorites, Mattie, for my first U-Street/Adams Morgan experience. I'm slowly expanding my DC neighborhood knowledge one weekend at a time :) We are going to a hookah bar {so excited} on U Street then bar hopping in Adams Morgan. I'm sure I'll have some good stories to share tomorrow.

And speaking of HOT- a quick shout out to one of my besties Shannon! This weekend is her bachelorette party. All of the girls are in Galveston celebrating her last few months as a single lady. I wish I was there so bad. Hope you gals are having a blast!!
xoxo,

KJS

No comments:

Post a Comment