Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Avery's Bucket List

I've put off writing this post because it just breaks my heart to accept that this is really happening. But sharing it will help spread Avery's story in hopes that you will share it, too.

Last Friday, some very dear friends of ours, Mike & Laura Canahuati, received some unthinkable news. They have a precious 5 month old daughter, Avery, was slow to hit certain physical developmental milestones, and her doctors started worrying. After multiple tests, lots of prayers, and gut-wrenching weeks of waiting for results, their sweet baby girl was diagnosed with an incurable genetic disease called Spinal Muscular Atrophy, or SMA. It attacks her muscle development and will prevent her from walking, moving her arms, and eventually attack her lungs which will lead to her death. The doctors told Mike & Laura that she might live another 18 months, but in reality it could claim her precious little life at any time.
This is the part that I hate about growing up.

Engagements, weddings, pregnancy announcements, births... it's all so exciting until things like this happen and it drags you back down to reality. I'm not naive enough to think that babies are all born perfect and none of them are sick. But I am hopeful enough to think that it won't happen to people I love.

Last night, I read the email from Mike with Avery's diagnosis. I kept refreshing it, scrolling down, and re-reading it to make sure I wasn't skipping over words or missing something. I must have read it 15 times to make sure I was seeing it right. When we heard she was having tests done a few weeks ago, we just *knew* that everything would turn out fine, the doctors wouldn't find anything wrong, and life would go on as usual.

One of the hardest things about reading his email was how beautifully it was written. Mike displayed so much courage, love and strength towards his wife and their sweet baby. It is humbling to know someone who is so strong in the face of sheer tragedy. But... knowing Mike and Laura, this didn't surprise me one bit.

I still remember when I found out Laura was pregnant... it was a year ago yesterday to be exact. I remember talking with them at our wedding reception and noticed Laura was surprisingly calm for 9:30 pm at a party with an open bar, and she didn't have a glass of wine in her hand. When you become our age {and you're in our group of friends}, that can only mean one thing... PREGGO!! Like a good, polite friend, I didn't ask her any tacky or obvious questions in front of everyone. I waited until she turned around and asked all of our girlfriends ;) Sure enough, we got a text a few weeks later confirming the news, and we couldn't have been more excited for them.

Late last summer, Mike and Laura came to visit us in DC for a few days. I was SO excited that we were going to get a whole weekend with them!! But naturally, in the back on my mind, I was thinking... "Crap... what do we do with a pregnant friend??" Laura was one of my first friends to ever get pregnant or have a baby, and I remember being so nervous! Would she be tired, hungry, grouchy, bored, I don't know??? What do pregnant people do?

Surely enough, when they arrived in town it was like nothing changed. All that worrying for nothing. We had such an awesome time, Laura was such a trooper, and she made me realize that being pregnant isn't scary. I also quickly realized that Mike was incredibly sweet, attentive, and basically waited on her hand and foot ;) Here are two of my favorite pictures from the trip:
Mike's first trip to H&M.
 Piled high with baby girl's clothes. 
Laura and Avery's first Metro Ride
The thing that stood out to me was the genuine excitement they shared their little baby, and how much they loved her already. As I mentioned in the blog post about their visit, they made the whole "having a baby" thing look easy.

They are already role models for us on "how to be a cool pregnant couple"... and they continue to be role models in how they are rising above Avery's condition and making the best of it.

To help raise awareness about Avery's story, Mike and Laura started a blog called Avery's Bucket List. I encourage you to check it out so that you can educate yourself on SMA, help them raise awareness, and send a few suggestions for the bucket list their way. Please pray for them and the tough times they have ahead.

To Mike, Laura, and Avery- Your courage and strength are an inspiration to us all. We love you.

2 comments:

  1. Well put. Thank you for loving them as much as we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. S0 sorry to read this. You are a true friend.

    ReplyDelete