Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Savvy Shopping: Guest Room Revamp

I gotta be honest... the whole "bargain shopping" thing wasn't as hard as I thought it would be thanks to a little store called Target.

I exchanged these $89.95 bad boys at Nordstrom:
For these $18.00 gems at Target:
Same look, less expensive. That gave me roughly $72 extra to spend on making my guest room the dream land I've been imagining for months now. Since I spent Saturday night watching DIY shows on HGTV, I gave myself the challenge of revamping the diggs for $100. 

My room inspiration came from some postcards that my mom bought when we went to France the summer I graduated high school. We spent 10 days exploring Nice, Monaco, Cannes, and Paris... it was such an amazing trip! Not only do they bring back great memories, but I'm drawn to the bright colors and chic yet relaxed vibe they give off. I  have a major color crush on yellow, so I thought these would be amazing to base the room around. 

When I started to research for items, I knew I needed to find the bedding first, and everything else will revolve around that. I've been obsessed with this set from West Elm for forever and a day:
West Elm $119
With these sheets...
West Elm $79
With this pillow cover...
Restoration Hardware $50
These three items already add up to $248 (pre-tax), and that's with ONE accent pillow cover, not even the insert or any other decorations... ain't happening. After a few hours of research, some sale rack scouring, and an impromptu trip to Goodwill, here what I came up with!
Smith Guest Suite! I forgot to take "before" pictures... doh! You weren't missing much-- brown and depressing.
Sticks on left: Ikea {Had them for years}, Headboard: Ashley Furniture: {bought when I graduated college}
Right Accent Pillow: $2.49 at Goodwill
Left Accent Pillow: Wedding Gift {Crate & Barrel}
Duvet $62.99, Yellow Stripe Sheets $29.00
Both Target
Decorative books: $4.00 at Goodwill {bottom 2}, Top 3 were gifts
Handsome couple in the back: My parents circa 1978
Table: Antique from my sweet Nana
All together, the room re-do total came to $98.48... I win! Considering it's where I basically get ready in every morning {I use the closet}, it's a double win. I'd much rather start the day with these bright and happy colors than the ugly brown stuff we had before. Since we move into our new place June 1 {more on that later}, I'm holding off on the paint, etc. But I plan on painting the walls in the new place grey, spray painting the iron headboard white, getting a tufted bench, and eventually splurging on some monogrammed pillows like the ones here.

Now that the room has a face lift, we are ready for our fun filled visitors weekend!! My BFF/partner in crime Jessica is coming in town tomorrow for work and staying through Sunday. As an added bonus, Zeke's long time family friend Lauren & her hubby Cody are visiting from Friday-Tuesday. Our weekend will be full of good eats, a trip out to the Virginia wine country, and photo opps with the cherry blossom trees. Excited! This will be my last post for a few days-- be good and have a great week{end}!

Xoxo, 

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment